The Environmental Changes in Ancient Mesopotamia

I was assigned to create a map of the Ancient Mesopotamia to show the change through the years environmentally. I was able to see how different the world has come to today and see the change through the land and the behavior. I think drawing a map has helped me see the change and completely understand the idea of Ancient Mesopotamia.

One example is something that changed Mesopotamian history which was something called, farming. They started farming between the middle of the Euphrates and Tigris River since it was very fertile. It is also claimed that the Fertile Crescent was one of the earliest places to begin farming. It was very easy to grow crops in this area because of the moist soil. However the land would often flood so they created dikes to re-direct the water from flooding the land.

It has also been stated that that early Mathematics, Writing, Laws, Astronomy, and Engineering (like wheels) had been also created in Ancient Mesopotamia. As time passed by Mesopotamians were in need for basic things, so they traded with close communities with their goods that others may need for goods they needed.

In Mesopotamia there are quite a few mountains, and minerals found in that very area such as copper, silver, red gold, and the famous lapiz lazuli. As many as there were mountains there were lots of seas such as the following; Mediterranean, Black, Caspian, Arabian, Red, and the Dead Sea. Just like Seas there were many rivers and lots of grass land (which I coloured green), and the deserted area (which I coloured red), I also coloured the land yellowish/orange depending on the land.

This project helped me understand the ways of Ancient Mesopotamia and the Fertile Crescent and how it changed through these years. I hope this essay helped and taught you a little more about Ancient Mesopotamia.